Make your next gift truly pop by putting it inside a special exploding gift box! True to their name, explosion boxes are held together by their lid and “explode” open when the lid is removed, revealing gifts, notes, and other sentiments that lie inside. This particular version of an explosion box is 4” x 4” and can hold gift cards, special notes, and any other small gifts—as well as a few fun, personalized surprises. Happy gifting!
MADE BY: SAMANTHA TAYLOR | TIME: 30-45 MINS
LEVEL: INTERMEDIATE | SIZE: 4" x 4"
- Glue Dots® Permanent Glue Tape
- Glue Dots® Craft Dots
- 2 – 12” sheets of patterned paper
- Coordinating stickers or die cuts
- Paper scorer
- Baker’s twine
- 4” x 4” Photo
- Start with the piece of patterned paper you want to use for the box itself. Score at 4” and 8”. Rotate 90 degrees and score at 4” and 8”.
- Then, score each corner square diagonally from the top corner to the first score line (corner to corner).
- Use Glue Dots® Permanent Glue Tape to attach a 4” x 4” photo to the center of the scored paper. Set aside.
- Next, cut a 5” x 5” square of paper from the piece of patterned paper that you want to use for the lid of the box. Score at ½” and 4 ½”. Rotate 90 degrees and score at ½” and 4 ½”.
- Fold along your score lines. Use the score lines as a guide to cut a flap on each side of the lid. Fold the small flap under and secure it to the side of the box lid using Glue Dots® Craft Dots.
- Now, cut a 4” x 4” square of paper from the same piece of patterned paper as the box lid. Keep your scissors out and cut 5 pieces of baker’s twine at 6” – 7” each. Then, poke 5 small holes through the piece of paper you just cut and thread 1 piece of twine through each hole. Pull about 1” of twine through to the wrong side of the paper and leave the rest of the twine on the right side.
- Use your Glue Dots® Craft Dots to hold the twine in place on the wrong side of the paper. Add a few additional Glue Dots® Craft Dots to the wrong side of the paper and attach it to the inside of the box lid.
- Use Glue Dots® Craft Dots to attach matching stickers or die cuts to the long ends of the baker’s twine hanging down from the box lid.
- Fold up the sides of your box.
- Set your gift in the box, and place the lid on top.
- Give to dad and wish him a happy Father’s Day!
Share This Post
My name is Samantha Taylor and I have a passion for combining crafting and creativity to beautify life. I live in a small town in rural Iowa with my husband and 2 boys (all 3 of whom you’ll see featured in my projects). I’m a paper crafting fanatic who also loves photography. I enjoy making lay outs, cards, mini albums and home decor items, party decorations, and crafting with my kids. My favorite thing about crafting is getting to connect with so many people all over the world who also love creating pretty things and preserving memories. You can find more from me at www.taylorstamped.blogspot.com. I am so excited to share with you my love for the many uses of Glue Dots®!